History of the Estate

Old Somerley is the site of the original house and sits on the edge of the parkland on the private Somerley estate, one still lived in by the family, never open to the public, but available only on an exclusive use basis. 

The Estate and the main Somerley house on the hillside, designed by Samuel Wyatt in 1750, has been in the Normanton family for five generations since it was bought by The 2nd Earl in 1825. Wyatt was a popular architect and engineer, best known for his classic Georgian designs, and he was also involved with buildings at Tatton Park in Cheshire, Shugborough in Staffordshire and Holkham Hall in Norfolk. 

The current custodian of Somerley, The 6th Earl of Normanton, was like many families, forced to commercialise the Estate and the house following the death of his father in 1967, and the subsequent crippling death duties. Determined to keep Somerley as a family home, Lord Normanton allows the doors to be opened for very special events, on an exclusive use basis.